Saturday, September 18, 2010

WHY ME VS WHAT NOW?

Why me? Is this the question that you ask yourself when things are going wrong in your life? Do you feel like theres a dark cloud following you wherever you go? If "why me" is the first question you ask yourself when things go bad then you re going about it the wrong way. We all go through hard times at some point in our lives, its inevitable. But how you deal with those tough times are completely up to you, and that starts with changing what you say to yourself when bad things do happen.

What now? In these two words are a very powerful message that you're sending to yourself. In those two words you're already telling yourself that you are ready to move on and figure out your next step. You're also accepting the fact that what has happened is already in the past. Sometimes we waste time feeling sorry for ourselves or the hand we were dealt in life, instead of trying to figure out a plan to get through whatever difficult situation arises.

"Stop saying why me? Start saying what now? Adversity is what shapes our lives and separates the weak from the strong!"

A strong individual is always asking what now? They don't sit around saying why me? They don't focus on all the wrong things that have happened in their lives. Instead they're thinking whats the next step? Where do I go from here?

Being a coach I always tell my players to focus on the what now and not the why me. That's one of the reasons that I chose this topic. Basketball is such a fast moving game, if one of my players concentrated on a bad play that happened during the game it would most likely affect the next 5 or 6 plays before they had a chance to change their mindset and move on. Which of course would result in my blood pressure sky rocketing and ultimately the player coming out of the game.

I tell my players to adopt the same mindset in their everyday lives. I try to let them see the similarities between basketball and life. Both move fast, both make you have to make adjustments, and both can be equally rewarding and heartbreaking at any given time. But its how you deal with that heartbreak that makes you successful or not.

So when we do fall upon hard times ask yourself the right question. Plan a way to make it better, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment